Valentines Day, the celebration of love and romance. This is a special day to me as its my birthday! YAY! haha but this is usually the day where people stress over finding the perfect gift and spend tons of money. I think Valentines Day should be the day that we show our love in small ways. In contradiction to popular belief I don't think Valentines day should just be about romantic relationships. As it is my birthday, I've always grown up with knowing Valentines day was a celebration of ALL love. Love is all around us, and I think we should celebrate everyone we love, and show them that we do. These little gifts are perfect to show anyone you care about that you love them. In addition, there is a variation of gifts in this list to fit all different types of people. The gifts are really affordable, memorable, useful, creative and I can guarantee they will put a smile on peoples faces.
The cheesy but absolutely adorable gift (sentimental)
1. Happiness Jar - This is a really cute and thoughtful gift to give to anyone you love that can really make a difference in their day. Basically what you need is a mason jar or any kind of jar, paper, and any decorative embellishments. You can have a lot of fun with this and get creative with how you decorate the jar. I saw a really cool idea on youtube where they folded each note into a paper crane. There are a couple ways to go about this. You can write 365 (or however many you want) little messages about the other person and why you love them, or memories you had, etc. so that they can read one everyday. OR you can make it where they read one every time they feel down or having a bad day.
2. Open when letters- I did this one year for someone special and I think its a really sweet idea. This is a more old fashion take on a Valentines day gift because you don't see many people sending handwritten letters to anyone anymore. With technology all around us it is so much easier to just shoot a text or email. I think this differentiates in the fact that more time and thought goes into making them, and its a physical copy, so unless you lose it, or it gets destroyed its much easier to hold on too than a text message or email that you'll probably delete and have no idea that you did. There is something about written letters that I think are very meaningful and would be a great gift.
3. Playlist/CD- This was something I received as a gift, and its a perfect way to show someone how you feel about them, especially when you can't quite find the words to tell them yourself. If you want to do something a little extra you can download the songs on a CD for them and decorate the cover. So to all my lovely people who get stuck in trying to tell someone you love them, this is perfect way to tell them without saying anything at all.
4. Date night sticks- Alright, I really like this idea. Lets say you and your significant other said no gifts this year for Valentines Day but you still want to do something that kind of celebrates the day. This is something you can do together to keep things fun, new and exciting in your relationship. Each of you take 5 popsicle sticks (or however many you like) and you write a date idea that you would like to try with the other person. Put them in a jar, decorate if you like, and BAM you have ten dates set. Now, wether you want to go out on Valentines day, or any other day you each take turns picking out a popsicle stick and that will be your date for the night.
For the more practical person (s)
1. The ultimate movie night - Here is something that everyone would LOVE. What is better than blankets, movies, and food? I love the whole idea of building a fort and kind of just chilling in pyjamas and having some pizza and just enjoying each others company. You can totally fancy this up and do a picnic with some fancier foods, and some wine (of course). This is perfect for movie lovers, and for someone who enjoys quality time more than sentimental gifts.
2. Valentines Day stocking- This one is pretty straight forward basically the same idea as a christmas stocking, in which you can fill it with chocolate, candy, chapstick, little cream, and anything that they can use. This also doesn't have to be an actual stocking, it can be a decorative box, or heart shaped holder or anything you wish. I love little stocking stuffers like cool pencils, sticky notes, and anything crafty because I use that kind of stuff all the time. This is great to do for everyone in the family to show some love.
3. Ultimate Wine night - I think this has to be one of my favourites ( and not just because I LOVE wine). Alright ladies, this one I dedicate to you! especially the ones sitting at home depressed watching romance movies all day wishing they had a relationship. Get up, call your girlfriends, cousins, mom, aunt, whoever you choose and celebrate one another. These are people you love too, and there is nothing wrong with spending Valentines Day with them. Kick on a movie (comedies I find are the best), try out a new dinner to make together, crack open a bottle of wine (or 3), and just have a good time. You'll see that your surrounded with people who love and care for you, and thats what its all about. As for my fellow guys, switch wine for beer? and play some NHL and your good to go!
4. Spa in a Jar- Here is a nice little treat you can give to someone. Basically in these little spa jars you can fill it up with body butters, cream, bath bombs, nail polish for the ladies. For the men, you can put in body wash, a shaver, and cologne. If you want to get really unique you can create your own body scrubs, and bath bombs!
Here are a few cool recipes for bath bombs and body scrubs that I found that are great!
Body Scrub recipes:
Homemade Bath Bombs:
(Heart shaped bath bombs) http://acultivatednest.com/2016/12/heart-shaped-bath-bombs/
For the Family
1. Pulling out the home videos- This was a personal addition to the list because I always loved watching videos growing up of a recent trip or christmas. Recently, for my last couple of birthdays my family and I would watch all our old home videos and I loved it. I think its a very cute way to bring the family together, so if you haven't watched your old home video Valentines day could be a good day to do so. This could be included with the wine night idea, or the movie night.
3. Valentines day treats- I am such a sweets person! That is why I love any sweet treat. These are just a few treats that I ultimately love and I thought would be cute for Vday. However, the options are endless! there are so many goodies you can make for Valentines day. I think it would be a cute activity to do with the family. Here are a few more treats to make this Valentines Day:
(Valentines day Oreo Pops)
(VALENTINE’S HEART MACARONS)
4. Homemade dog treats- This one I just threw in because I love my dog, and I felt that dogs deserve a little extra on Valentines Day too. These treats are peanut butter banana and I think these would be perfect because all dogs that I know go crazy for peanut butter. I haven't actually tried this yet for my dog, but I loved the idea so I might just give it a go.
That is all the DIY gifts and activities I have, I hope you guys enjoyed this post! All links to these DIY's are listed or linked to the picture so go check them out. Have an amazing Valentines Day this year, and just always choose love no matter what. Talk to you all next week! :)